This week I attended a highly entertaining and informative workshop by Brian Bacon, a leading strategy and management consultant from the Oxford Leadership Academy. There were some great one-liners that I thought that I’d share. Many were attributed to others and have been quoted many times before (and I won’t attribute them here for brevity).
- “A leader never reacts” – but observes, understands then acts decisively.
- The conversation is the relationship.
- Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character but if you have to be without one, be without a strategy.
- Strategy rarely survives contact with the enemy but character persists.
- Vision without execution is hallucination.
- Plans are just frisbees.
- Successful organisations have a combination of focus, will and capability. Missing one means that you might, could or would do it but in all likelihood, won’t do it.
- Execution is about alignment and engagement.
- The shadow of a leader is very wide.
Lots of food for thought. There was a reflective self-management leadership exercise at the end which was quite like Theory U and Presence in its style.